The Buster uses low-intensity gamma radiation emitter and Cesium Iodide Scintillation Crystal detector. This allows the unit to quickly scan an object – whether a box, crate, car, or truck. Within minutes, around five minutes for the average sized car, the density meter will be able to tell if there are hidden compartments holding contraband.
The density meter is small – 5.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches – and can be easily held within one hand. It weighs around 2.5 pounds.
The unit has a 3.5 inch display (liquid-crystal or LCD) to allow users to see the density of the object being scanned. The display can be used in any lighting conditions because it has a push-button electroluminescent panel that is back lit. The display refreshes very 0.5 second. The unit also has a remote reading display to make inspections easier, as well as the needed connecting cable. The unit scan rate is 0.25 seconds per reading.
Along with the visual display indicating density of the scanned object, it also has a audible alarm to alert users of the density meter to recognize the possibility of hidden contraband. The alarm, which is driven by an internal microprocessor, produces 59 decibel pulses for 0.50 seconds in duration. There is an optional headset which can be used; when it is in use, no one can hear the alarm except the one wearing the headphones.
The density meter has a variety of modes:
- Raw Data Mode which does not produce an alarm or display reading
- Data Scan Mode which produces both the alarm and the density value reading
- Zero Scan Mode which produces an alarm but shows a zero-based value reading
- Calibration Mode which is used to calibrate the unit
- Self-Diagnosis Mode which allows the unit to complete self-diagnosis
- Lock Mode which locks the operating display temporarily while the unit is being used in places that are inaccessible
The unit is easy to calibrate using the Universal Calibration Standard. This allows other Buster K910B Density Meters to be calibrated using the same base. The units will show a reading that is a ±2% of each other once they have been calibrated. Calibration is quick, within 30 seconds, and can be completed at any time. The density meter uses standard 9-volt (9V) alkaline transistor batteries. They can be easily replaced in the field and are readily available. One 9V battery will keep the unit in operation daily for up to three months. The Buster also comes with a lockable, high-impact carrying case. The inside of the carrying case is padded to protect the density meter and it also has a pocket to store unit documentation and accessories.
Use of the Density Meter in Public Safety
A density meter, like the CSECO Buster K910B Density Meter, can be used to scan items quickly and efficiently. This type of density meter would be used in the following industries:
- Law enforcement – to scan and detect possible contraband including narcotics and other illegal drugs, undeclared currency, weapons, as well as dirty bombs or radioactive materials. The scans can be done on vehicles such as cars, pickup trucks, vans, cargo trucks as well as in rooms. The average sized car requires about five minutes scanning time where a larger vehicle would require more time. An average sized room can usually be scanned in about ten minutes.
- Travel – scanning luggage and packages being loaded onto modes of transportation for possible contraband as well as scanning outgoing crates and containers, although larger density meter products are designed for use with large containers and crates.
- Shipping – to ensure the same types of materials are loaded in a crate as well as to detect possible concealed drugs, explosives, or hazardous materials. Very large density meters can scan an entire vehicle and detect hidden objects.
Other Density Meter Uses
Of course, there are is a different type of density meter that is used only for scientific measuring. This type of density meter would ensure quality control during research and development. Some of the industries that use these density meters include:
- Food and beverage
Now that you know more about density meter technology, if you would like to learn more about the CSECO density meter, the Buster K910B, or any of the other contraband detection equipment manufactured by CSECO, you can go to Contact Us for contact information.